Saturday, October 13, 2012
2nd book on its way out
In the afterword of Thrive i loved seeing charts about how much time or amount of certain things can make a person experience happiness. The one chart that i found most intriguing was the amount of sleep. Obviously getting 2 hours of sleep a night will produce an unhappy person, and you would think someone who gets 10 hours of sleep would be riding around on the happy train but that is false. What intrigued me was the fact that getting 7-8 hours a night with a little extra one night and a little less another night proved to produce happier people. I can see this, for example, i slept 14-15 hours in one night. I would think that i feel more rested and such but i feel its harder to get started on things and start projects.and now ALL I THINK ABOUT is getting more sleep, even though i don't need it. I think that not getting enough sleep is a problem and i also believe getting too much sleep is a problem. I never thought i would say that but i think its true. I want to shoot for 8 hours when i'm really tired and 7 for when i know i should probably get to bed. I think when a persons sleep time becomes routine they adjust and their mood isn't affected by it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You make a good point about how you can actually feel WORSE after sleeping too much. It is counter-intuitive. I have found that since I stopped drinking Coke, I can wake up a lot easier. My husband says I "wake up talking" instead of walking around like a zombie . . . so I'd say that's a good thing!
ReplyDeleteI also thought that was interesting, who would've thought sleeping 10 hours would make a person feel just as bad as sleeping only 5 hours! I also agree with you about getting too much sleep makes a person lazy and unproductive.
ReplyDeleteI love my sleep but if I get more than 11 hours for one night, I just want to take naps all day and do nothing at all. Even if I don't get to bed till 1 or 2 I try to get up by 9 at the latest so I don't feel like a missed a lot of the day by sleeping.
ReplyDeleteSleep is one of the most important aspects of happiness. As individual as it can be, as you've stated too much or too little can be detrimental. I believe that the mark of too much or too little is up to the individual, however. Good luck keeping your schedule!
ReplyDelete