Friday, September 7, 2012

Spending and Cutting Back

When it comes to money, i feel that everyone can be satifisfied with their purchases, but can also see ways they can cut back. There are definitely ways I can cut back on my spending. My senior year of high school I pretty much went out everyday for lunch. Literally I went out everyday and it affected me in two ways, in ways that affected my personal disposition. First in my bank account, I would work every weekend and then get my paycheck and then pay my bills and the rest was for spending money going out to lunch. I felt horrible knowing that I wasn't saving and just blowing my money on food, something that is ultimately not tangible after you eat it. The second affect was my performance in sporting activities and my personal opinion of how my body looked. I began to loose some self-esteem and everyone seems to have body issues. I realized that I was over eating and spending way to much money. Funny this is now i am a vegetarian.....(:  My way of cutting back is by not impulsively by food just because I can and to eat in a healthier manner and to remember that fast food places are only for when they are my only option. Because honestly that is how it should be. Another thing i should cut back on is the impulsive puchases at the grocery store. I love to cook and at the store those little thing at up. Along with that idea, I plan on saving more and only allowing myself to transfer money when I have a serious emergency, because I really don't need that frappe or iced delicious tea.

Purchases I feel good about are ones I know I will either remember for a long time, use for a long time, and that are not bought on impulse. For example I researched for a new hiking backpack and I looked for the best deals, the best shipping and the best return policies. It took a solid month to finally decide on what daypack I wanted and the research made me feel better about my desicion and made me get excited about the puchase. I love the daypack I bought. I love recycling clothing and I always go looking to thrift stores before I hit the mall. I love fashion, but my hipster tendencies always kick in. if you catch my drift.

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, I enjoyed your anecdote about buying your backpack . . . I've had that experience as well, where researching and planning for a purchase made it ultimately more satisfying than an impulse purchase. I wonder if you could also allow yourself a small impulse allowance for cooking ingredients that allow you to make creative & healthy meals. That could be worthwhile (within limits) as well!

    ReplyDelete